CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, October 6, 2008

We Will Be OK

I've been wondering if I am really capable of being a mom without "messing up." There are so many books and so many people offering up advice that its overwhelming. Don't co-sleep. Don't pick him up so much. Don't let him cry. Don't feed him so much. Don't spoil him. I have my own opinions on what to do for many situations. I have read book after book and develop theories based on these books. But for some reason, each conflicting piece of advice makes me wonder.... Am i messing up? Is my theory wrong? Does this other mom know better than I do because she has 3 children? And then I wonder if I am carrying out the theory I believe in a wrong way. Will i somehow do something that will cause irreparable harm without realizing? NO!

I have decided to let go of my second guessing and insecurities. I'm sure I will always wonder if I could be doing better but from now on, I will not let unsolicited advice make me think that I am being a bad mom. I am willing to consider the opinion of others but many of the opinions I am being given have already been considered and decided against. So if another mom thinks that letting you sleep on my chest for 2 hours in the evening is spoiling you and ruining your nighttime schedule, I will brush off the advice with a smile and continue letting you sleep.

I don't understand why other people are so quick to judge a new mom's parenting. Perhaps they feel that they since they have experience, they are being helpful. But I'm sure these same people were thinking the same thoughts I am having now when others gave unwanted advice. Sure, I have a lot of question and there are many things I do not know. I will admit when I need help and accept advice when it is truly warranted. However, when and where my child sleeps is not a matter of utmost concern that it must be addressed several times by every person I know. In short, I will do my best and we will be ok.

And of course, I can't post without a picture. Here is one of me "spoiling" you.

1 comments:

MJ said...

You're preaching to the choir!

Just wait till you start or delay (in my case) solids :)
Oh just wait for the wrath of opinions/ideas/advice you will be presented with! You're doing a fantastic job figuring out what is best for you & T!