CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, October 3, 2008

The Greatest Day There Ever Was

I'm backtracking now. All the way back to Labor Day weekend, where my first post stopped. Your father arrived on Sunday. We stayed home Sunday and Monday with the only exception of going out to eat. We were both ready for you to come. Well, I was more ready than your dad was. I was having a lot of pain in my back but no other signs you would be born. Tuesday I went to work as usual and was a little disappointed that you hadn't decided to come over the weekend. Here is the last picture I had taken of me before you were born.

The pain in my back continued to worsen all day Tuesday. After lunch, I couldn't take the pain anymore. I called the doctor and she told me to go to the hospital to be monitored. Around 2:15, I left work and a friend of mine drove me home to get your dad. Since he wasn't home, she drove me to the hospital and dropped me off. Normally I would have worried about being at the hospital by myself but i just knew you weren't coming yet. The nurses monitored my contractions and your heart rate and told me everything was fine. They said they would call my doctor and then send me home to wait for labor to begin. Suddenly, there were eight people standing around me. They put an oxygen mask on my face and an IV in my arm but would not tell me what was going on. After what seemed like an eternity, someone finally told me your heart rate had dropped. Your heart rate stabilized finally and the doctor came in to do an ultrasound. My fluid was low and you, my difficult boy, were breech. The doctor told me we would be having a c section at 6. I called your Aunt Jenn at work and told her the news and she rushed to the hospital. Your heart rate fluctuated a few more times and the doctor decided the c section would be as soon as possible instead of at 6. I was taken to the OR and given a spinal block. Aunt Jenn had just arrived when my legs had gone completely numb. You were taken out of my belly with your bum entering the world first at 4:48. The doctors allowed me a brief glimpse of my beautiful boy and you were taken to the other side of the room to be cleaned while my surgery was finished. You screamed and screamed until the brought you back to me. Aunt Jenn held you and you calmed down as soon as you were by my side. I stroked your cheek until my surgery was complete. You were 6lbs 6oz and 19.5in of perfect, handsome baby boy. And you loved laing on your side from the start.
The doctors put me in a regular bed to go to our room and I finally got to hold you. You were all bundled up and seemed so tiny in my arms. I was overcome with so many emotions during that trip down the hallway. It was a short trip but in my memory it seems like it was so very long. Will I be a good mom? How can I make sure you are happy? How will I know how to take care of you? I couldn't keep my mind from racing.

Your dad got to the hospital at 4:30 and the nurses told him to wait in the room. He had no idea you had been born until they brought us into the room. You were so small that he didn't see you right away, but when he did, his whole face lit up. He stayed at the hospital with us every day until we got to come home.

Your cousins came to visit too. They were both very excited to meet you and proud of their baby cousin.
Your dad was here for two weeks and loved spending time with you. He would hold you and play with you. He watched football with you and explained the game to you. I think one day you will have a great bond.
Well, my son, that is the story of how we got to meet you. You are growing so fast but I will always cherish that day.

Lastly, here is my favorite picture of you from today. I take several a day but there is always one that seems to capture just how perfect you are.

2 comments:

MJ said...

How sweet Heather! So glad that you're blogging and T will love this when you 2 reminisce.

bshenry said...

I love the picture of daddy & baby on the sofa!